This is a great salad combining the earthiness of the roasted beets and the salty tang of the feta. You can also swap out the feta with chèvre for a slightly different flavour.
Roasted Beet Salad
Roasted beets paired with tangy feta and a good dose of dill make for a delicious accompaniment to your meal.
- 700 g Beets about 1.5 lbs
- 1 T Olive Oil for roasting beets
- 4 Green Onions 30 g
- 2 T Dill 7 g
- 1 c Feta 120 g
- 4 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 t White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 t Sumac
- 1/2 t Fresh Ground Pepper
- 3/4 t Fleur de sel
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Clean beets by washing and trimming off leaves. Place the cleaned beets into a roasting pan or on a cooking sheet lined with foil, pour about a tablespoon of olive oil and coat beets. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over beets. Roast until a knife easily enters beets 30-45 minutes depending on size, large beets could take up to 1 hour.
- When done remove from oven and let cool. In a skink rub off beet skins under water, and if needed, use a paring knife to remove skin being careful not to remove to much of the beet.
- Dice beets into 1 cm cubes and place in a bowl.
- Mince the dill and place in a bowl with the beets.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, sumac, black pepper and fleur de sel. Pour this vinaigrette over the beets and toss to coat. At this point, the beet salad can be covered and refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Dice feta into 1 cm cubes. If serving right away, toss the feta with the salad. Alternatively, refrigerate feta. Toss the cubed feta with the beet salad just before serving.
– You can serve over a bed of arugula with some french bread for a wonderful meal. – Substitute feta for chèvre for different flavour.